Tuesday 8 July 2014

Homelessness; an Issue That Urgently Requires Our Assistance

Today I visited the Melbourne CBD to do some shopping with my mum. While completely harmless, I was consumed with guilt as I walked past a sleeping homeless man with shopping bags in my hands. Having been the second time I have experienced such circumstances, I feel as though the universe is sending me a sign. I feel as though I have been reminded of my own privileges of being able to purchase clothes to wear, as well as being reminded of the misfortune of others. 

While challenging to see, this confrontation has prompted me to take action. You see, I am not unfamiliar to the notion of homelessness. In fact, someone I have encountered in my own personal life has fallen victim to homelessness due to a drug addiction. While it may be easy to negatively label such people, one must not neglect the issues that they are faced with on a daily basis; the specific circumstances that led to their troubles.

Upon seeing this man asleep, devoid of warm clothes and a blanket on a cold Melbourne morning, I was immediately concerned. I imagined the individual without a home whom I had met in such a situation, and could not help but worry. 

In a bid to assist those underprivileged who would not be able to read this blog post, those who may be sleeping in harsh conditions on this cold winter night, those who are isolated and confined due to potential mental or physical limitations, I strongly encourage you to donate your time and/ or money to a worthy cause. I hope to not pressure or threaten you, but rather to consider the benefits of assisting a foundation that supports deprived individuals. 

I personally appreciate the work of HomeGround Services in their goal to "end homelessness in Melbourne". HomeGround Services' aims is to "get people housed and keep people housed", something I feel is quite necessary to enable individuals, who have previously been homeless, to attain work, health and achieve a sustainable life. 

If you are interested in supporting such a beneficial and inspiring cause, go to www.homeground.org.au/support-us/donate/.

What issue are you passionate about? Leave a comment if you want one of my next blog posts to promote a social justice issue that concerns you and the broader society.

Chelsea Elizabeth xx

Note: I am no way affiliated with HomeGround Services; I am simply putting forward my own personal opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment