Thursday 30 January 2014

My Two Weeks as an Intern

You're probably not wondering where I have been because you may be new to my blog, but for those who have a read every now and then welcome back and for those that don't welcome! I have had a little vacation from blogging (not by choice) but mainly due to the endless hours I have spent studying for school- which only begun today. 

As you may or may not know, I recently did an internship at a magazine in Melbourne which was such a great experience and taught me so much about what I want to do in the future! Even though it has been a week (just about) since I finished, I thought I would tell you five things I loved about being an intern!
  1. I loved the fact that I was able to travel into the city every day and experience the rich culture Melbourne has to offer. Even when I caught the train and walked that long way from the station to my work, I loved seeing things I hadn't seen before such as little trendy alleyways, cute cafes and not to mention the beautiful shops!
  2. I enjoyed meeting new people that all had different things to offer- from stories about travelling, to university experiences; I learnt a lot through meeting others.
  3. Being able to see how a magazine actually works was something that really interested me. Prior to the internship I don't think I realised how much work is done behind the scenes such as accounts, advertisement and all of the little things that we sometimes take for granted when we purchase magazines. I loved being able to watch the designers put the words onto creative pages which would soon become the next edition!
  4. One of my colleagues told me that by doing an internship, it is probably more educational and you would probably learn more about working in print than at university and I realised that it was true. Just by being there for two weeks, I learnt so much about the different offices and what they were responsible for, the little jobs that make up the magazine and plenty more which I would have never known.
  5. Last but not least my favourite part of being an intern at a magazine (very Carrie Diaries right?) was being able to have seven articles published with my name. I never expected I would have the privilege to write for a magazine other than the ones we have at school where you volunteer to write, but to publish something in the real world, for me that was amazing and I will always be grateful for the opportunity I had!
Online editions are available at www.theweeklyreview.com.au

Also have a look at my article on Australian snowboarder Hannah Trigger at www.peninsula weekly.com.au 

I know this sounds corny, but I believe that whatever career path you're interested in; science, medicine, the arts, graphic design- you name it, I think it's worthwhile to just have a go and put yourself out there! 

Apply for internships, for workshops, attend exhibitions- just go crazy and immerse yourself in such things. Not only is it important for getting your name out there and making good impressions, but I also think for me, it was the idea of seeing if I actually would want to pursue journalism after completing my internship which now I know I definitely want to.

So don't be afraid and just reach for the sky because you have the world at your feet!

Chelsea Elizabeth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment