Sunday 19 January 2014

Save the Birkins!

To those unfamiliar with the Hermēs Birkin bag, it is a designer handbag distinguished by its exclusiveness and expensive price tag. The Birkin is a symbol of wealth, a luxury item that can cost anywhere between $7500 and $150 000 (well that's what the Internet tells me anyway)! Now you may be asking why I have chosen to write about the Birkin, and here's the answer.

I have found myself feeling shocked and appalled by the recent way celebrities are treating these luxurious items. First Kanye West bought Kim a generous sized Birkin with a custom hand-painted portrait by world renown artist George Condo, and now Kelly Osbourne shared on Instagram her Hermēs filled with pointless fabric stickers. Now I respect both these iconic women and their achievements, but in this case I fail to understand their choices. 

As romantic as Kanye's present to Kim was, the artwork completely ruins the beauty of the Birkin, I know if I had such a lavish item I wouldn't even let Picasso paint on it! Then there's Kelly. Now why would you have such horrid stickers on such a beautiful bag? I feel that these glamorous bags are in desperate need of a new home and a new owner, and I'm willing to help out there. Don't you think a Birkin would suit me?

Kelly Osbourne's beloved Birkin above- sourced from Kelly's Instagram

Kim's hand- painted Birkin above- sourced from www.hollywoodreporter.com


Blank Birkin or decorated; let me know what you think!

Chelsea Elizabeth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment