Sunday 1 December 2013

What to Do, What to Do?

Hello there, 

I'm currently planted on the sofa and have been for the past three hours, except now my dad has turned on the television and is watching a documentary on marine life which is talking about the intelligence of seals. Now, before you become increasingly jealous of my current situation (who wouldn't be, seals are awesome), I'll explain the real reason I am blogging. 

As you may or may not know I have indeed finished school for 2013 (applause). I feel almost lost with all the spare time I have. What should I do with my life now that I have no due homework? Being my nerdy self, I have spent my afternoon researching some courses for journalism at universities in Melbourne which made me question the pressure young people are under to figure out their career pathways. I know there's no way to remove this burden, but I just feel that finding yourself is something education alone cannot bring. I think that in order to know what you truly love, you need to experience the world through travelling, reading, writing and learning as a whole. You see, when I realised I liked the idea of being journalist and hoped to one day pursue it, my inspiration was sourced from figures such as Tavi Gevinson and Australia's Allison Langdon. Only through these writers was I motivated to not only write, but incorporate and express myself through words. I do hope that I can achieve this dream of mine, but I know there is a possibility for things to change and move to a different direction.  In fact, according to bizcommunity.com, an indiviudal will "change [their] career five to seven times in their lifetime", which I feel can be attributed to the substantial pressure young people are under to study the right subjects which will lead them to their career. Furthermore, before you feel stressed and confused, remember that the best way to gather an idea of what you want to do for a living is to experience the world, and always know that your career defines you, so choose wisely.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think about the pressure young people are under to make such a life- changing decision.

Chelsea Elizabeth xx


1 comment:

  1. An individual should never change their career more then once if they really want to be successful. Changing 5 to 7 times will never allow you to become an expert, and the goal of a career is to become an expert (Master Ranking).

    Pick the career you both love and excel in and hope for the best (you will feel and know it quickly if you are in tune with your beliefs and feedback from respected peers). Never use the words "hope" and "one day", but strive to speak from past tense with successes and fondness gain by your "own" experiences accounts.

    And most importantly, have fun.

    ReplyDelete